Shopping Cart

SBIR/STTR Registration Requirements

Posted by Ed Bard on

SBIR Registrations

Once you have verified that you are a qualified SBC, it is time to begin the process of getting all the required registrations necessary to be able to upload your proposal to the DoD submission portal and be eligible for an award. is the central supplier database for the federal government and is where you ultimately input your bank information to get paid.  SAM collects, validates, and stores data from suppliers and makes them available to government agencies for procurement.  As the primary system for government agencies to see supplier information during the acquisition process, all contract or grant seekers with federal agencies, like the DoD, are required to be in the system to sell to the federal government.  Once registered in SAM you will receive your organization’s CAGE code.  The Commercial and Government Entity, or CAGE code is a five-character ID number that identifies contractors.  During the SAM registration you will also identify your NAICS for your business.  The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) identifies business establishments by business categories.  Your organization can designate multiple NAICS and will allow you to see and bid on future government contracts.

 The process to get registered in SAM is as follows:

 Your business must have a Taxpayer ID, you can get one here:

  1. Register your business as an SBC with the small business administration in order to receive your SBA SBC ID
  2. Register your business at
  3. Dun & Bradstreet's nine-digit DUNS code has become a standard business identifier worldwide. Short for Data Universal Numbering System, DUNS numbers are required for DoD government contractors. You will need to have a DUNS number
  4. Register your entity in


Helpful Tip: It is important to get all your registrations done early.  They cost nothing, can take time to become effective, and all must be completed prior to SBIR submission.  Also, a lot of the government sites require complicated passwords that must be changed every 60-days.  To manage all these and more you may want a password support program to generate passwords and securely store them for you. Process:

  1. Go to
  2. Create a User Account
  3. Click “Register New Entity” under “Manage Entity” on your “My SAM” page
  4. Select your type of Entity
  5. Select “No” to “Do you wish to bid on contracts?”
  6. Select “Yes” to “Do you want to be eligible for grants and other federal assistance?”
  1. Complete “Core Data”
  • Validate your DUNS information
  • Enter Business Information (TIN, etc.)
  • Enter CAGE code if you have one. If not, one will be assigned to you after your registration is completed. Foreign registrants must enter NCAGE code.
  • Enter General Information (business types, organization structure, etc)
  • Financial Information (Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Information)
  • Executive Compensation
  • Proceedings Details
  1. Complete “Points of Contact”
  2. Your entity registration will become active after 3-5 days when the IRS validates your TIN information.

Once you have received your SAM registration, you will need to register on the DoD SBIR portal, this is where you will ultimately upload your proposal.

Helpful Tip: Registering and Navigating portal can be challenging.  I recommend contacting your local Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) for assistance on this step.  They will save you a lot of time!   You can find your local assistance at .  If you choose to go at it on your own, there is a step by step video that may assist you.  On youtube search for “SAM Registering New Entities in SAM for Government Contracts,”

 Once registered in you may get several emails that look very official telling you your is out of date, click here to update.  We are not certain if these are a scam or companies trolling to “assist” you in the simple task of annually updating your SAM.  We always look at the suffix of the website and/or sender email to find the .GOV.  If not there, you probably want to block and delete the sender

If your solicitation states ITAR control, you should attempt to get registered for the Joint Certification Program via DD2345 form prior to submitting your proposal.  This verifies your company.  The simple online form and instructions can be found here:



Older Post Newer Post

Related Posts

Find funding through the Army xTechsearch
    The Army xTechsearch is a crowd sourced competition to engage citizen-solvers in prize competitions for top idea...
Read More
Army “Special Topics” STTR Initiative
  To aid the process of quickening technologies to the warfighter, the Army STTR Program Office has set up a new proc...
Read More
Technological Development and the U.S. Army
  Developing advanced technologies that increase levels of lethality, communications, and mobility are important to ...
Read More


Sold Out